The nature of the TESOL PhD programs is examined in this article. The abbreviations TESOL stand for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This is an internationally recognized qualification. There are certain prerequisites and requirements for joining the TESOL PhD program. These may vary from one institution to the other but basically include possession of a masters degree in some related area.
TESOL Education and Training
The TESOL PhD program acquaints the learner with efficient organization methods, competent teaching methods and methodical lesson planning. It also strengthens the student’s grammar and comprehension. One acquires excellent teaching skills and practical teaching experience. It helps the student to make a difference as an international educator. He also gets the opportunity to see the world and grow as a person.
Those who acquire a TESOL PhD are able to offer their language skills to people whose first language is not English. They teach their students English to a level that enables them to integrate into the educational, cultural and work environment of the country.
Once you join this academic, multifaceted discipline you take various courses including linguistics, language pedagogy, second language acquisition and methodology. Testing and research, materials development, syllabus and curriculum design, cross-cultural communication and program administration are also include. After completing the coursework, the student takes qualifying exams. After passing the qualifying exams, he is usually nominated to candidacy. Coursework may include:
- Applied Linguistics
- English Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Reading and Coaching
- Teaching Methodology
- Curriculum Development
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy, although the student does not necessarily study philosophy. Students can study liberal arts or science fields. This advanced degree is acquired after receiving a bachelors and masters degree. The doctorate program in TESOL prepares teacher educators, higher education teachers, supervisors, researchers, administrator and material/curriculum developers for bi-cultural and second language settings involving acquisition and usage of English.
Careers in ESL
Upon graduation from the TESOL PhD program, the student is ready to pursue their career further. He or she is ready to travel and see the world to gain experience and exposure. He or she can be a higher education teacher in universities, public schools or private language schools. They can also work as a researcher, supervisor, curriculum/material developer or program administrator among other positions. There are numerous countries requiring the services of such professionals internationally.
Anyone wishing to communicate with the rest of the world should thus write, read and speak English. English is not the native language a large percentage of the world’s population. Such countries will thus continually require the services of these graduates.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Offers fully online master’s and doctoral programs in Education.
- Education Specialist (EdS) program offers several specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Educational Leadership, English as a Second Language, Special Education, and more.
- Master’s students can choose an accelerated track MEd program to complete their degree faster.
- All master’s and doctoral Education programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- English Second Language - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology