The nature of the TESOL PhD programs is examined in this article. The abbreviations TESOL stand for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This is an internationally recognized qualification. There are certain prerequisites and requirements for joining the TESOL PhD program. These may vary from one institution to the other but basically include possession of a masters degree in some related area.
TESOL Education and Training
The TESOL PhD program acquaints the learner with efficient organization methods, competent teaching methods and methodical lesson planning. It also strengthens the student’s grammar and comprehension. One acquires excellent teaching skills and practical teaching experience. It helps the student to make a difference as an international educator. He also gets the opportunity to see the world and grow as a person.
Those who acquire a TESOL PhD are able to offer their language skills to people whose first language is not English. They teach their students English to a level that enables them to integrate into the educational, cultural and work environment of the country.
Once you join this academic, multifaceted discipline you take various courses including linguistics, language pedagogy, second language acquisition and methodology. Testing and research, materials development, syllabus and curriculum design, cross-cultural communication and program administration are also include. After completing the coursework, the student takes qualifying exams. After passing the qualifying exams, he is usually nominated to candidacy. Coursework may include:
- Applied Linguistics
- English Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Reading and Coaching
- Teaching Methodology
- Curriculum Development
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy, although the student does not necessarily study philosophy. Students can study liberal arts or science fields. This advanced degree is acquired after receiving a bachelors and masters degree. The doctorate program in TESOL prepares teacher educators, higher education teachers, supervisors, researchers, administrator and material/curriculum developers for bi-cultural and second language settings involving acquisition and usage of English.
Careers in ESL
Upon graduation from the TESOL PhD program, the student is ready to pursue their career further. He or she is ready to travel and see the world to gain experience and exposure. He or she can be a higher education teacher in universities, public schools or private language schools. They can also work as a researcher, supervisor, curriculum/material developer or program administrator among other positions. There are numerous countries requiring the services of such professionals internationally.
Anyone wishing to communicate with the rest of the world should thus write, read and speak English. English is not the native language a large percentage of the world’s population. Such countries will thus continually require the services of these graduates.
Education and Teaching Programs
- The Doctor of Education (EdD) program helps students hone research and scholarly writing skills in preparation for their doctoral study or dissertation.
- EdD students may choose from nine specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Higher Education Leadership and Management, and more.
- Students in the EdD program may progress at their own pace by choosing between the Traditional and Fast Track options.
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- English Second Language - EdS
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Concordia pursues online learning with the same passion and commitment to excellence that has marked our 110-year history. Our online degrees provides the same high academic standards as our on-campus
- #1 in M.Ed Degrees awarded by a Non-Profit University with over 8,000 M.Ed degrees that have been awarded to Concordia Online Students (Based on 2013-2014 IPEDS data); #3 MBA Program in Oregon (2015)
- Your diploma and transcript is exactly the same as what students receive from Concordia’s on-campus program and carries the same value as a traditional degree
- Concordia offers a variety of scholarships, grants, and awards designed to make the cost of a quality liberal arts education more affordable. Military benefits are available to candidates who qualify
- Concordia offers outstanding student-focused support including technical support and student service teams to assist you from initial contact through graduation.
- Concordia University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Higher Education (EDD)