The nature of the TESOL PhD programs is examined in this article. The abbreviations TESOL stand for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This is an internationally recognized qualification. There are certain prerequisites and requirements for joining the TESOL PhD program. These may vary from one institution to the other but basically include possession of a masters degree in some related area.
TESOL Education and Training
The TESOL PhD program acquaints the learner with efficient organization methods, competent teaching methods and methodical lesson planning. It also strengthens the student’s grammar and comprehension. One acquires excellent teaching skills and practical teaching experience. It helps the student to make a difference as an international educator. He also gets the opportunity to see the world and grow as a person.
Those who acquire a TESOL PhD are able to offer their language skills to people whose first language is not English. They teach their students English to a level that enables them to integrate into the educational, cultural and work environment of the country.
Once you join this academic, multifaceted discipline you take various courses including linguistics, language pedagogy, second language acquisition and methodology. Testing and research, materials development, syllabus and curriculum design, cross-cultural communication and program administration are also include. After completing the coursework, the student takes qualifying exams. After passing the qualifying exams, he is usually nominated to candidacy. Coursework may include:
- Applied Linguistics
- English Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Reading and Coaching
- Teaching Methodology
- Curriculum Development
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy, although the student does not necessarily study philosophy. Students can study liberal arts or science fields. This advanced degree is acquired after receiving a bachelors and masters degree. The doctorate program in TESOL prepares teacher educators, higher education teachers, supervisors, researchers, administrator and material/curriculum developers for bi-cultural and second language settings involving acquisition and usage of English.
Careers in ESL
Upon graduation from the TESOL PhD program, the student is ready to pursue their career further. He or she is ready to travel and see the world to gain experience and exposure. He or she can be a higher education teacher in universities, public schools or private language schools. They can also work as a researcher, supervisor, curriculum/material developer or program administrator among other positions. There are numerous countries requiring the services of such professionals internationally.
Anyone wishing to communicate with the rest of the world should thus write, read and speak English. English is not the native language a large percentage of the world’s population. Such countries will thus continually require the services of these graduates.
Education and Teaching Programs
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Special Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Concordia pursues online learning with the same passion and commitment to excellence that has marked our 110-year history. Our online degrees provides the same high academic standards as our on-campus
- #1 in M.Ed Degrees awarded by a Non-Profit University with over 8,000 M.Ed degrees that have been awarded to Concordia Online Students (Based on 2013-2014 IPEDS data); #3 MBA Program in Oregon (2015)
- Your diploma and transcript is exactly the same as what students receive from Concordia’s on-campus program and carries the same value as a traditional degree
- Concordia offers a variety of scholarships, grants, and awards designed to make the cost of a quality liberal arts education more affordable. Military benefits are available to candidates who qualify
- Concordia offers outstanding student-focused support including technical support and student service teams to assist you from initial contact through graduation.
- Concordia University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.