The nature of the TESOL PhD programs is examined in this article. The abbreviations TESOL stand for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This is an internationally recognized qualification. There are certain prerequisites and requirements for joining the TESOL PhD program. These may vary from one institution to the other but basically include possession of a masters degree in some related area.
TESOL Education and Training
The TESOL PhD program acquaints the learner with efficient organization methods, competent teaching methods and methodical lesson planning. It also strengthens the student’s grammar and comprehension. One acquires excellent teaching skills and practical teaching experience. It helps the student to make a difference as an international educator. He also gets the opportunity to see the world and grow as a person.
Those who acquire a TESOL PhD are able to offer their language skills to people whose first language is not English. They teach their students English to a level that enables them to integrate into the educational, cultural and work environment of the country.
Once you join this academic, multifaceted discipline you take various courses including linguistics, language pedagogy, second language acquisition and methodology. Testing and research, materials development, syllabus and curriculum design, cross-cultural communication and program administration are also include. After completing the coursework, the student takes qualifying exams. After passing the qualifying exams, he is usually nominated to candidacy. Coursework may include:
- Applied Linguistics
- English Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Reading and Coaching
- Teaching Methodology
- Curriculum Development
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy, although the student does not necessarily study philosophy. Students can study liberal arts or science fields. This advanced degree is acquired after receiving a bachelors and masters degree. The doctorate program in TESOL prepares teacher educators, higher education teachers, supervisors, researchers, administrator and material/curriculum developers for bi-cultural and second language settings involving acquisition and usage of English.
Careers in ESL
Upon graduation from the TESOL PhD program, the student is ready to pursue their career further. He or she is ready to travel and see the world to gain experience and exposure. He or she can be a higher education teacher in universities, public schools or private language schools. They can also work as a researcher, supervisor, curriculum/material developer or program administrator among other positions. There are numerous countries requiring the services of such professionals internationally.
Anyone wishing to communicate with the rest of the world should thus write, read and speak English. English is not the native language a large percentage of the world’s population. Such countries will thus continually require the services of these graduates.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- English Second Language - Doctor of Education
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- English as a Second Language (Master of Education) - Online
- English as a Second Language (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- English as a Second Language (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Education in Higher Education
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!