Online teacher education PhD programs provide doctoral students with the flexibility to continue on with their careers as they advance their professional credentials. PhD degrees are the highest degrees that a person can earn and the Teacher Education PhD programs in particular are coveted as they can help you seek and obtain the best jobs. After earning this degree you can seek a position in this field at the highest level and there are also sure to be many opportunities available in the administrative side as well.
Teacher Education and Training
To obtain a PhD in this discipline you will need to be intensely focused and you must also show a lot of discipline and this is why only a very small numbers of professionals actually complete such a program. However, the rewards are many and the opportunities are also plenty for those who can earn such a degree.
Here we look at how teacher education PhD programs help you continue to grow in your chosen career as an educator. For a doctorate in this discipline you will need to complete the required teacher education course which can vary depending on what you wish to focus on.
There are a number of specializations available including elementary education, elementary education, secondary education, and higher as well as special education and more. This particular program will focus on your career choice and the curriculum will also include advanced and many related subjects. In addition to other PhD program requirements, coursework may include:
- Curriculum Design
- Psychology and Pedagogy of Teaching and Learning
- Policy Analysis in Education
- Social Analysis of Educational Policy
- Comparative Perspectives on Teacher Education
- Philosophy of Education
You must also complete an original thesis or dissertation, which can take up much of your time and you may also be required to complete hands-on training in your chosen field. It really depends on what you choose to study and what your school offers in the doctoral program.
Careers in Teacher Education
After completing the PhD in teacher education, in your chosen specialization, you will readily find many openings in the administrative and also in the teaching fields. At present, there are not enough such professionals and so there is a great demand for those who have obtained a doctorate in this particular field.
Once you have obtained such qualification you will have a much better chance of being employed with universities and even private schools at different levels and you can also look forward to being employed in a supervisory capacity.
Your job may include training other teachers and you may also be involved in conducting research that will help in changing the structure and system of modern education. The teacher educator takes on a leadership role in particular area of expertise, for example special education and instructional technology to mention a couple of specializations.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Global and Comparative Education
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Early Childhood and Primary Education
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- EdS - Personalized and Competency Based Instruction
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- EdD - Teacher Leader in K-12 Studies
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Education Master's Degrees for New & Experienced Teachers!
- Emphases include Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, TESOL & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses 100% online or in our evening campus cohorts.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request transcripts, evaluate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- 60 of our College of Education graduates have gone on to become Teachers of the Year, will you be next?
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Educational Specialist in Leadership in Mathematics Education
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals. Everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education Leadership
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership (including K-12 specialization)