Let us take a glance at sustainable development PhD degree programs. With so many changes being witnessed in the world today, it has become relatively necessary to pay special attention to PhD in sustainable development in a bid to establish what can work best in order to have the world growing in the right direction. Drastic changes in weather patterns and the adverse effects of human activities have left the human race with many problems than they had bargained for at the beginning of industrialization.
Sustainable Development Education and Training
For starters, it is important to understand what this subject involves. To describe it in ordinary terms, it is the study and research into policy issues that will either negatively or positively affect our beloved planet earth and the entire solar system.
It is due to the complexity and width of this matter that not a single discipline can adequately tackle this subject. This program like any other PhD program requires minimum thresholds in order to gain admission and we will list them in this chapter so as to give any aspiring candidate a brief list of what to expect before they can be enrolled into the program.
What is sustainable development? The sustainable development definition provided by World Bank (from the World Commission on Environment and Development) is, “Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
Among the most significant prerequisites of the sustainable development PhD program include a masters degree in the same faculty. It is however important to note that in the event of the candidate being unable to present the said degree above, a number of colleges will also consider your candidature if you have an ordinary degree but has had the chance of working on a thesis or dissertation on the same matter.
Another pointy worth noting before you embark on the sustainable development PhD degree is that it basically involves a lot of research that can really be time consuming. This is because sustainable development PhD is a subject that requires a multidisciplinary approach because numerous other sectors have to come into consideration before you can get a conclusive solution.
Failure to coordinate and link the participation of the other relevant disciplines to the same would most likely leave you with a half baked solution that cannot offer the much needed solution to the burning issues at hand that your research should cover adequately. Some colleges will provide this course in stipulated semesters but the emphasis is on the quality of research and therefore it should not entirely be pegged on the length of the semesters.
Careers in Sustainable Development
The prospects that are likely to be available upon completion of the program are numerous although it is not very common. This is because the approach behind this course is rather multidisciplinary because you can understand from the explanation on the objective of the course or subject given in the first paragraph; it is quite evident that no single discipline can tackle the challenges in an all encompassing manner. A student who studies sustainable development can pursue a career in development studies, environmental policy, agricultural consulting, and alternative energy to mention a few areas.
Careers with a sustainable development PhD are available in various sectors including non-profit organizations, NGOs, public, and private sectors, as well as international organizations. Some employers include think tanks, Environmental Protection Agencies, Financial institutions, departments of sustainability and environmental management, and agricultural and resource management firms.
International Relations and Liberal Arts Programs
- The Master of Social Work (MSW) program offers four concentrations: Advanced Clinical Practice, Military Social Work, Social Work in Healthcare, and Social Work with Children and Families.
- The MSW coursework is offered online, with two in-person Social Work Skills Labs to prepare for real world application and state licensure.
- Students may choose from three completion options: Standard, Accelerated, and the Advanced Standing option for students with a BSW from a CSWE-accredited program.
- Doctor of Social Work - Family Studies and Interventions
- Ph.D. in Social Work - Medical Social Work
- Doctor of Social Work - Social Work Administration
- And more...
- Prepare for your mission - earn your bachelor's or master's degree in theology online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Theology offers a variety of transformative degrees with real-world relevance.
- Choose from several degree options, such as Christian studies, pastoral ministry, Master of Divinity and more.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- GCU's College of Theology exists to educate students to communicate the gospel effectively, serve the church faithfully and minister with integrity.
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Gender Diversity Studies - PhD of Psychology
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)