Why consider sports science PhD programs? A PhD in Sports Science degree is sometimes necessary for some types of employment in the field of Kinesiology. Exercise physiology is a discipline that studies body’s response to physical activity. Its focus is “exercise as medicine.” You may be satisfied with a Bachelor or Master’s degree, and work in team sports, or perhaps the sports department of an educational institution. However, if you seek a job with a top collegiate or professional sports team, the title of “doctor of philosophy” may put you ahead of other applicants.
Sports Science Training and Education
There also are many important management positions in the industry, where an extensive education will be of great use. You will need the usual prerequisites like a bachelor and master degree in Kinesiology or sport sciences. However, the doctor of philosophy degree, is one that very few people that study, attain. It will take many hours of training, and significant amounts of research in the sport field.The field can be split into two primary areas of specialization: fitness and rehabilitation.
You may need to meet admission requirements of the sports science PhD program that you attend. This may include grade point averages and GRE test scores. Some institutions also require letter of recommendation from sources like previous professors.
Your education may revolve around several different kinds of credit hours, and these may total more than seventy. For example, some may need take courses in specialized knowledge, like exercise and sport physiology. You also may take courses like sport conditioning and nutrition. You also may need an understanding of cardiovascular physiology.
In most sports science PhD programs You may need courses in research methodology, like research design and statistics. You also may be required to have a lot of courses that are devoted to research, as this will be the basis of your final paper or thesis. You will need a number of guided electives that are related to your field of study. These may include anatomy, microbiology, immunology, and chemistry. It is also important to have good communication skills, so courses like psychology can be important.
Your dissertation or thesis will be the major focus of your degree. You will need to show through knowledge and research, that you can understand and enhance sport science. You will also be examined in front of school officials.
Exercise and Sport Science Careers
Besides all of the positions open to people with lesser education in your field, you will qualify for many top positions in industries like coaching and team trainer. Also, management positions in things like physical therapy may be available. After serving in these kinds of jobs, you may be able to take positions in sales or promotions, in sports and related industries. There are also opportunities in elementary and high school settings, as well as college sports and community centers.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- Sports Management - PhD in Education