Why consider sports science PhD programs? A PhD in Sports Science degree is sometimes necessary for some types of employment in the field of Kinesiology. Exercise physiology is a discipline that studies body’s response to physical activity. Its focus is “exercise as medicine.” You may be satisfied with a Bachelor or Master’s degree, and work in team sports, or perhaps the sports department of an educational institution. However, if you seek a job with a top collegiate or professional sports team, the title of “doctor of philosophy” may put you ahead of other applicants.
Sports Science Training and Education
There also are many important management positions in the industry, where an extensive education will be of great use. You will need the usual prerequisites like a bachelor and master degree in Kinesiology or sport sciences. However, the doctor of philosophy degree, is one that very few people that study, attain. It will take many hours of training, and significant amounts of research in the sport field.The field can be split into two primary areas of specialization: fitness and rehabilitation.
You may need to meet admission requirements of the sports science PhD program that you attend. This may include grade point averages and GRE test scores. Some institutions also require letter of recommendation from sources like previous professors.
Your education may revolve around several different kinds of credit hours, and these may total more than seventy. For example, some may need take courses in specialized knowledge, like exercise and sport physiology. You also may take courses like sport conditioning and nutrition. You also may need an understanding of cardiovascular physiology.
In most sports science PhD programs You may need courses in research methodology, like research design and statistics. You also may be required to have a lot of courses that are devoted to research, as this will be the basis of your final paper or thesis. You will need a number of guided electives that are related to your field of study. These may include anatomy, microbiology, immunology, and chemistry. It is also important to have good communication skills, so courses like psychology can be important.
Your dissertation or thesis will be the major focus of your degree. You will need to show through knowledge and research, that you can understand and enhance sport science. You will also be examined in front of school officials.
Exercise and Sport Science Careers
Besides all of the positions open to people with lesser education in your field, you will qualify for many top positions in industries like coaching and team trainer. Also, management positions in things like physical therapy may be available. After serving in these kinds of jobs, you may be able to take positions in sales or promotions, in sports and related industries. There are also opportunities in elementary and high school settings, as well as college sports and community centers.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Sport Psychology (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MEd - Corporate Wellness
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!