If you obtain a PhD in substance addiction counseling, this signifies the end of a long academic track. It shows that you are someone who has undertaken the most thorough specialization in your chosen field. People who hold PhD (or PsyD or doctorate) degrees are considered to be experts in a specific area of study by academics and the public. A PhD in psychology counseling with a focus on substance abuse and addiction counseling will also expand your professional opportunities. In the field of alcohol or drug abuse, you will be able to apply the principles of mental health, psychology, and development, to help addicts achieve effective cognitive, behavioral, and systemic changes to improve their lives.
Substance Addiction Counseling Training and Education
To earn a doctoral degree as a drug or alcohol abuse counselor takes years of research. A PhD student has to write a protracted thesis on a topic of his or her choice. Research content in the dissertation has to be advanced. If you wish to make a significant contribution to the field of substance abuse, earning a doctorate degree will give you the opportunity.
If you have your heart set on teaching or doing research, a PhD in substance addiction counseling will be beneficial. In order to be a successful student, you must have strong academic abilities, outstanding study skills, motivation, and commitment.
A Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 is usually the benchmark for doctoral programs, but some institutions expect higher. Be realistic about your abilities and expectations before taking this major step. A counselor with a PsyD can specialize in other fields in addition to drug abuse. They can take on positions as mental health counselor, marriage and family counselor, rehabilitation counselor, career and guidance counselor, and educational counselor.
Careers in Substance Abuse Counseling
The occupation of a counselor is rewarding and it can be pursued in a number of different environments. Many PsyD holders choose to become college or university professors. Alternatively, they get involved in research work that is focused on new developments and treatments for addiction. Obtaining a coveted position at a college or university can be a competitive and arduous process. However, there is a big demand for highly qualified part-timers to work in a faculty.
The advantages of obtaining a PhD in substance addiction counseling are many. Doctorate level programs and specialized substance abuse counseling courses prepare students for careers in many settings. Graduates go on to take up jobs at university and college centers, rehabilitation facilities, health care facilities, businesses, institutions of higher education, or they open their own private consulting practices.
Should you decide to open your own practice as an addiction counselor, your insurer will probably offer a more competitive rate of reimbursement because of your doctorate. Also, you can charge patients a higher fee because the initials, PsyD, follow your name. Therefore, you are increasing your income potential. It must be said, however, that doctorate degrees may not suit everyone.
Programs in Substance Abuse and Addiction Counseling
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Ministry in Clinical Pastoral Education
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- Ph.D. International Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Psychology, Mediation & Conflict Resolution