If you obtain a PhD in substance addiction counseling, this signifies the end of a long academic track. It shows that you are someone who has undertaken the most thorough specialization in your chosen field. People who hold PhD (or PsyD or doctorate) degrees are considered to be experts in a specific area of study by academics and the public. A PhD in psychology counseling with a focus on substance abuse and addiction counseling will also expand your professional opportunities. In the field of alcohol or drug abuse, you will be able to apply the principles of mental health, psychology, and development, to help addicts achieve effective cognitive, behavioral, and systemic changes to improve their lives.
Substance Addiction Counseling Training and Education
To earn a doctoral degree as a drug or alcohol abuse counselor takes years of research. A PhD student has to write a protracted thesis on a topic of his or her choice. Research content in the dissertation has to be advanced. If you wish to make a significant contribution to the field of substance abuse, earning a doctorate degree will give you the opportunity.
If you have your heart set on teaching or doing research, a PhD in substance addiction counseling will be beneficial. In order to be a successful student, you must have strong academic abilities, outstanding study skills, motivation, and commitment.
A Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 is usually the benchmark for doctoral programs, but some institutions expect higher. Be realistic about your abilities and expectations before taking this major step. A counselor with a PsyD can specialize in other fields in addition to drug abuse. They can take on positions as mental health counselor, marriage and family counselor, rehabilitation counselor, career and guidance counselor, and educational counselor.
Careers in Substance Abuse Counseling
The occupation of a counselor is rewarding and it can be pursued in a number of different environments. Many PsyD holders choose to become college or university professors. Alternatively, they get involved in research work that is focused on new developments and treatments for addiction. Obtaining a coveted position at a college or university can be a competitive and arduous process. However, there is a big demand for highly qualified part-timers to work in a faculty.
The advantages of obtaining a PhD in substance addiction counseling are many. Doctorate level programs and specialized substance abuse counseling courses prepare students for careers in many settings. Graduates go on to take up jobs at university and college centers, rehabilitation facilities, health care facilities, businesses, institutions of higher education, or they open their own private consulting practices.
Should you decide to open your own practice as an addiction counselor, your insurer will probably offer a more competitive rate of reimbursement because of your doctorate. Also, you can charge patients a higher fee because the initials, PsyD, follow your name. Therefore, you are increasing your income potential. It must be said, however, that doctorate degrees may not suit everyone.
Programs in Substance Abuse and Addiction Counseling
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- Doctor of Psychology, Criminology and Justice Studies
- Doctor of Psychology, Health and Wellness Psychology
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- PhD - Counselor Education and Supervision
- PhD - Psychology
- DSW - Social Work
- And more...