If you obtain a PhD in substance addiction counseling, this signifies the end of a long academic track. It shows that you are someone who has undertaken the most thorough specialization in your chosen field. People who hold PhD (or PsyD or doctorate) degrees are considered to be experts in a specific area of study by academics and the public. A PhD in psychology counseling with a focus on substance abuse and addiction counseling will also expand your professional opportunities. In the field of alcohol or drug abuse, you will be able to apply the principles of mental health, psychology, and development, to help addicts achieve effective cognitive, behavioral, and systemic changes to improve their lives.
Substance Addiction Counseling Training and Education
To earn a doctoral degree as a drug or alcohol abuse counselor takes years of research. A PhD student has to write a protracted thesis on a topic of his or her choice. Research content in the dissertation has to be advanced. If you wish to make a significant contribution to the field of substance abuse, earning a doctorate degree will give you the opportunity.
If you have your heart set on teaching or doing research, a PhD in substance addiction counseling will be beneficial. In order to be a successful student, you must have strong academic abilities, outstanding study skills, motivation, and commitment.
A Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 is usually the benchmark for doctoral programs, but some institutions expect higher. Be realistic about your abilities and expectations before taking this major step. A counselor with a PsyD can specialize in other fields in addition to drug abuse. They can take on positions as mental health counselor, marriage and family counselor, rehabilitation counselor, career and guidance counselor, and educational counselor.
Careers in Substance Abuse Counseling
The occupation of a counselor is rewarding and it can be pursued in a number of different environments. Many PsyD holders choose to become college or university professors. Alternatively, they get involved in research work that is focused on new developments and treatments for addiction. Obtaining a coveted position at a college or university can be a competitive and arduous process. However, there is a big demand for highly qualified part-timers to work in a faculty.
The advantages of obtaining a PhD in substance addiction counseling are many. Doctorate level programs and specialized substance abuse counseling courses prepare students for careers in many settings. Graduates go on to take up jobs at university and college centers, rehabilitation facilities, health care facilities, businesses, institutions of higher education, or they open their own private consulting practices.
Should you decide to open your own practice as an addiction counselor, your insurer will probably offer a more competitive rate of reimbursement because of your doctorate. Also, you can charge patients a higher fee because the initials, PsyD, follow your name. Therefore, you are increasing your income potential. It must be said, however, that doctorate degrees may not suit everyone.
Programs in Substance Abuse and Addiction Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Offers Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership programs with specializations in Conflict Resolution, Higher Education, and more
- Students learn how to develop resources, communicate effectively, & evaluate organizational strategies
- Coursework covers topics such as Leading Organizational Change, Theories & Practices of Effective Leadership, & Human Resource Development
- Program is designed to be finished in as little as 36 months, completely online