Candidates who are considering the PhD in physical education normally have dedicated their career to helping people stay fit, athletics, or coaching. If you want to pursue the PhD in physical education program, you will need to attain a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation. In many cases, people get one letter from a previous employer, one letter from a previous employer, and one personal recommendation. The letters should contain information about your potential to participate in the program, your leadership potential, and your potential to contribute to the field in a way that will benefit others.
Physical Education Training
You must also have also have recent GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores, as well as completion of a Masters Program with a focus on PE. Grade point average and the minimum acceptable score of your GRE will vary with the schools you are considering. You will also be asked to write an essay outlining what your goal is after you have achieved the degree and what your intended specialty or focus will be.
This degree is a fairly recently addition to the doctorate programs that combines the study of human movement with education. The field of physical education has grown significantly over the last few years as more people have recognized the important relationship between health, exercise and diet. The need for highly qualified individuals in both business and educational settings is making this doctoral program very important throughout the world.
The PhD in physical education program will focus on the developmental factors of athletic training education. Students will receive education in ethics, curriculum construction, the analytics of teaching PE, sports, human growth and development and fitness. You will also receive education in the psychology of physical education and the cognitive factors in motor skill acquisition.
This is a very broad field, and before beginning a thesis, students will select the area that they want to specialize in. Depending on this specialty, the student will have additional coursework that will add to your knowledge base of this aspect of PE. When you are comparing schools and programs, it will be important to look carefully at the focus of the educational program to make sure your specialty will be addressed.
Careers in Physical Education
Upon attaining the PhD in music education degree, students have many career options available. You may wish to design, implement and lead musical education programs on primary through university levels. Some individuals manage musical talent and programs, while other people pursue the study of musical history and research different aspects of musicology throughout history. Still other individuals enter radio, television or film as composers, conductors, or educators.
The PhD in Physical Education is a growing field as more demand for knowledgeable professionals who can analyze and create effective training and curriculum that meet the specific needs of individuals grow. The science of how movement affects the human body is continuing to grow and the need for researchers in this area for both educational and large organizations has been on the rise since the importance of exercise in daily life for all individuals has become more visible.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- Education Master's Degrees for New & Experienced Teachers!
- Emphases include Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, TESOL & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses 100% online or in our evening campus cohorts.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request transcripts, evaluate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- 60 of our College of Education graduates have gone on to become Teachers of the Year, will you be next?
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Our supportive instructors, rigorous curriculum, and experience-based approach give you the knowledge and skills to make a difference in your profession
- Our degree programs are designed specifically for working adults — put your coursework to work in your current job AND use it to reach the next level in your career
- Finish assignments and complete your degree on a schedule that works for you
- Keep your current job as you earn your graduate degree
- Scholarships may be available
- Ed.D. in Leadership and Management
- Concordia University - Portland online programs can help you:
- Get your master’s degree in just 14 months!
- Earn your Ed.D. fully online in less than four years
- Potentially earn a salary increase
- Achieve an advanced degree on your schedule, from the comfort of your home
- Use research-based best practices to have a more powerful impact on education
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...