Those seeking a PhD in insurance management will earn a solid background in financial theory, as well as comprehensive research methodology skills. The application process for PhD programs will vary by university. Typically, students must take either the GMAT or GRE, and many applicants have master’s degrees, although a master’s degree is not necessarily required for admission.
Insurance Administration Education and Training
In addition to test scores, applicants must submit a valid set of transcripts, demonstrating an above-average GPA, and letters of recommendation, along with their application and application fee. Admitted students will demonstrate excellent qualifications, as well as a strong interest in research and instruction.
The insurance industry provides protection against financial losses, which may result from a variety of hazards. Although job growth may be limited by corporate and federal government downsizing, graduates may expect numerous job openings to arise as current workers leave the industry, or retire.
The PhD will prepare individuals for jobs in academics and research. Coursework typically includes classes in theoretical and applied aspects of insurance, risk management, and employee benefits. Also, students must write a dissertation, demonstrating their ability to conduct original research, on risk management or insurer-related topics.
Students will have a similar course of study at most institutions. Courses will include economics, statistics, financial management, risk, and insurance, in addition to elective seminars and research projects.
Some institutions will also require doctoral students to teach undergraduate classes, to give them a mentored transition from student to instructor. Throughout the program of study, doctoral students may have to write smaller research papers, and may be required to take qualifying exams, to ensure that they may remain in their program.
Careers in Insurance Management
PhD in insurance graduates will have a variety of career options. Some will become researchers in the fields of insurance and risk management, while others will begin academic careers at major business schools and economics departments. Some graduates may even find themselves employed in research positions at policy-oriented institutions, or in the public sector.
Many factors will both limit and enhance job growth. For instance, many insurers suffered major losses in the recent financial crisis, which led to corporate downsizing. Insurers also face a loss in sales due to new technology, as well as increasing sales via direct mail, telephone, and Internet. However, as insurers rebuild their capital, and adhere to stricter federal government regulations, the industry should stabilize.
Risk Management and Insurance Programs
- Are You a Natural Leader or Good with Numbers? Get Educated in the Business Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Business Administration & Management, Accounting, Marketing Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Business Master's Degrees at Grand Canyon University's Colangelo College of Business
- MBA's in Finance, Marketing, Health Systems Mgmt, Strategic HR Mgmt & more or a Master's in Accounting or Leadership!
- Programs provide a comprehensive foundation with the knowledge and skills needed to lead in the business world.
- Develop communication & leadership skills necessary to excel in today's global business environment.
- MBA programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- Convenience – all master's in business programs can be taken completely online.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).