Those seeking a PhD in insurance management will earn a solid background in financial theory, as well as comprehensive research methodology skills. The application process for PhD programs will vary by university. Typically, students must take either the GMAT or GRE, and many applicants have master’s degrees, although a master’s degree is not necessarily required for admission in order to be considered for as a candidate to join a School of Risk Management, Insurance and Actuarial Science.
Insurance Administration Education and Training
In addition to test scores, applicants must submit a valid set of transcripts, demonstrating an above-average GPA, and letters of recommendation, along with their application and application fee. Admitted students will demonstrate excellent qualifications, as well as a strong interest in research and instruction.
The insurance industry provides protection against financial losses, which may result from a variety of hazards. Although job growth may be limited by corporate and federal government downsizing, graduates may expect numerous job openings to arise as current workers leave the industry, or retire.
The PhD will prepare individuals for jobs in academics and research. Coursework typically includes classes in theoretical and applied aspects of insurance, risk management, and employee benefits. Also, students must write a dissertation, demonstrating their ability to conduct original research, on risk management or insurer-related topics.
Students will have a similar course of study at most institutions. Courses will include economics, statistics, financial management, risk, and insurance, in addition to elective seminars and research projects.
Some institutions will also require doctoral students to teach undergraduate classes, to give them a mentored transition from student to instructor. Throughout the program of study, doctoral students may have to write smaller research papers, and may be required to take qualifying exams, to ensure that they may remain in their program.
Careers in Insurance Management
PhD in insurance graduates will have a variety of career options. Some will become researchers in the fields of insurance and risk management, while others will begin academic careers at major business schools and economics departments. Some graduates may even find themselves employed in research positions at policy-oriented institutions, or in the public sector.
Many factors will both limit and enhance job growth. For instance, many insurers suffered major losses in the recent financial crisis, which led to corporate downsizing. Insurers also face a loss in sales due to new technology, as well as increasing sales via direct mail, telephone, and Internet. However, as insurers rebuild their capital, and adhere to stricter federal government regulations, the industry should stabilize.
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- D.B.A. with an Emphasis in Management
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- DIT - Project Management
- PhD - Business Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- DBA - Project Management: Business
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
- DBA in Leadership
- Doctor of Ministry: Leadership
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership in Strategic Foresight
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership in Leadership Coaching
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership in Strategic Leadership
- And more...
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Organizational Systems