Those seeking a PhD in insurance management will earn a solid background in financial theory, as well as comprehensive research methodology skills. The application process for PhD programs will vary by university. Typically, students must take either the GMAT or GRE, and many applicants have master’s degrees, although a master’s degree is not necessarily required for admission.
Insurance Administration Education and Training
In addition to test scores, applicants must submit a valid set of transcripts, demonstrating an above-average GPA, and letters of recommendation, along with their application and application fee. Admitted students will demonstrate excellent qualifications, as well as a strong interest in research and instruction.
The insurance industry provides protection against financial losses, which may result from a variety of hazards. Although job growth may be limited by corporate and federal government downsizing, graduates may expect numerous job openings to arise as current workers leave the industry, or retire.
The PhD will prepare individuals for jobs in academics and research. Coursework typically includes classes in theoretical and applied aspects of insurance, risk management, and employee benefits. Also, students must write a dissertation, demonstrating their ability to conduct original research, on risk management or insurer-related topics.
Students will have a similar course of study at most institutions. Courses will include economics, statistics, financial management, risk, and insurance, in addition to elective seminars and research projects.
Some institutions will also require doctoral students to teach undergraduate classes, to give them a mentored transition from student to instructor. Throughout the program of study, doctoral students may have to write smaller research papers, and may be required to take qualifying exams, to ensure that they may remain in their program.
Careers in Insurance Management
PhD in insurance graduates will have a variety of career options. Some will become researchers in the fields of insurance and risk management, while others will begin academic careers at major business schools and economics departments. Some graduates may even find themselves employed in research positions at policy-oriented institutions, or in the public sector.
Many factors will both limit and enhance job growth. For instance, many insurers suffered major losses in the recent financial crisis, which led to corporate downsizing. Insurers also face a loss in sales due to new technology, as well as increasing sales via direct mail, telephone, and Internet. However, as insurers rebuild their capital, and adhere to stricter federal government regulations, the industry should stabilize.
Risk Management and Insurance Programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Ph.D. Organizational Leadership
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Ecclesial Leadership
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change (Executive Format)
- Relentlessly reinventing higher education, helping busy adults reinvent their lives through education.
- Over 200 affordable online programs and one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- See yourself succeed at Southern New Hampshire University.
- Business Doctoral Degree
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)