The PhD in global health leads to careers in public health, health education, epidemiology and related fields in health and medicine. The importance of global health cannot be emphasized too much, as it affects everyone, these days. In times of rapid transportation, all kinds of disease can easily spread across the planet, in a short amount of time. The professionals that work tirelessly to make the planet a healthier place for all, may need a PhD in global health, for many positions.
Global Health Education and Training
Many experts advise those seeking graduate school, to choose the branch of global health that they are the most passionate about. This will help them decide which field to go into. It also will determine many of their studies for their doctoral degrees. When you apply for doctoral studies, you may need to be recommended by former professors and provide whatever documentation is requested. This may include test scores and letters of recommendation.
The PhD in global health degree covers so many facets, that there may not be any “one size fits all” courses to consider. However, you may expect to take training in things like epidemiology, research design, social justice, as well as courses that fit into your chosen field of study.
You also may need to present an outline of your plans for the future. This will include a general overview of your dissertation. In some cases, the approval process can be very extensive, as many universities only have room for so many doctoral students per semester.
It can take four to eight years to earn your degree in international health, and this is determined by whether you are studying full-time or part-time. You may need to have periodic evaluations and testing. Also, you may work in internships or similar programs, depending on your studies. In most cases, your research and dissertation will need to be approved by a faculty member or board, before you can proceed.
Global Health Careers
You might choose to work with the United States Department of Agriculture as a Nutrition Adviser. You also may wish to work with the Red Cross or with Project Hope, as a Health Business Development Specialist. Many important government agencies and nonprofit agencies need project directors, to manage and control important issues related to the well-being of others.
A lot of organizations are also looking for Public Health Specialists. There are also other fields of work that one can check out. You may choose to work as a program manager, social marketer, researcher, clinician, or epidemiologist. Epidemiologists work to control the spread of disease.
You can find various positions, where those in higher education work as managers and program directors as well as epidemiologists and researchers.
Public Health Programs
- Walden’s unique MSW program can help you to enhance your knowledge of the field through award-winning case studies and valuable in-person Social Work Skills Lab.
- Gain real-world knowledge as you learn on-site from practicing professionals.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden University’s Master of Social Work (MSW) program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Health Policy
- Ph.D. in Public Health - Epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Public Health Policy
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Mind-Body Medicine
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice