Acquiring a PhD in Engineering degree is a feasible idea, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in this particular field and you want to improve your career prospects. The course work involved in such a course normally involves learning about quantitative methods (research oriented) in a specialty subject. In addition, the student must also complete an original dissertation in writing. Here we look at a few important facts about earning A PhD in engineering.
Engineering Training and Education
Concentrations in engineering are varied, and include studies in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, structural engineering, biomedical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering to mention a few.
Thus, engineering programs concentrate on a specific area that is usually supplemented by course work in science and mathematics. In many cases project management is required as part of the training, and especial in areas like engineering management.
The main steps involved in earning an engineering doctorate degree are to find a research topic and a supervisor. Next, one must pass a qualifying exam and then complete the candidacy form and pass a Special Qualifying Exam and submit a dissertation and also have it approved. It is also important to hold a Masters degree. It is also important to complete the engineering requirements. Once you have met the entrance requirements, you must then apply for a PhD candidacy.
There are several tracks to pick and choose from. For example, you can opt for a Doctor of Philosophy program though it is also possible to obtain your doctorate in this particular field through a Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng. or D.Engr. or Eng.D. or Dr.Eng. or Dr.-Ing.) program.
In most cases, students who are thinking about pursuing a doctorate degree in this area will need to work closely with PhD advisors or a professor or two who will provide guidance regarding research as well as dissertations.
The dissertations will require the PhD student to successfully complete an oral or written or even both oral and written examination and in addition the student will also need to provide a defense of their conclusions in front of a PhD advisory committee. Obtaining a PHD in Engineering degree also means having to spend between 5 and 7 years doing graduate studies and once you obtain your doctorate, there will be many professional opportunities that you can take advantage of.
After graduating from a PhD in Engineering program, you can expect to get a job in a research university and you will need to use all your expertise to work in government or industrial research laboratories or even create your own business around a particular innovation. Furthermore, you can also promote your career in the green energy field and you can also think about trying to discover live saving biomedical processes or work in the worldwide communication field.
- Within 6 months of graduation, over 90% of new graduates land jobs in their fields of study.
- Offers an $18k College Completer Scholarship for transferring students who meet requirements.
- All professors hold advanced degrees, many with MBAs and PhDs.
- Classes start every 8 weeks, and curriculum is updated regularly with input from industry leaders.
- More than 85% of students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships and grants.
- Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC/NCA).
- Associate - Electronics & Computer Technology
- Bachelor's - Electronics Engineering Technology
- Bachelor's - Biomedical Engineering Technology
- AS - Electrical Engineering Technology
- AS - Construction Technology
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Associate of Arts in Engineering Management Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering Management Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology
Established in 1966, ECPI has been specializing in Technology, Business, and Health Sciences Education for 45 years. With campuses in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Online, ECPI offers the flexibility to get the education and skills you want on your schedule.
For More Information Call Now : 844-289-5374
- Electronics Engineering - Bachelor
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- BS in Aeronautics
PUT YOUR CAREER IN GEAR
If you enjoy working with your hands and are looking for a rewarding career, contact Advanced Technology Institute, located in Virginia Beach, VA!
ATI offers NATEF/ASE Master Certified Automotive Technology programs, is approved for Veterans, and is licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Financial Assistance is available for those who qualify and graduate employment services are also offered.
- Automotive Technology w/ Service Management - Associate's
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Land and Energy Management
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you're going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that's focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination.
Please Call 855-816-4001 to speak to a customer representative.
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.