Acquiring a PhD in Engineering degree is a feasible idea, especially if you are interested in pursuing a career in this particular field and you want to improve your career prospects. The course work involved in such a course normally involves learning about quantitative methods (research oriented) in a specialty subject. In addition, the student must also complete an original dissertation in writing. Here we look at a few important facts about earning A PhD in engineering.
Engineering Training and Education
Concentrations in engineering are varied, and include studies in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering, structural engineering, biomedical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering to mention a few.
Thus, engineering programs concentrate on a specific area that is usually supplemented by course work in science and mathematics. In many cases project management is required as part of the training, and especial in areas like engineering management.
The main steps involved in earning an engineering doctorate degree are to find a research topic and a supervisor. Next, one must pass a qualifying exam and then complete the candidacy form and pass a Special Qualifying Exam and submit a dissertation and also have it approved. It is also important to hold a Masters degree. It is also important to complete the engineering requirements. Once you have met the entrance requirements, you must then apply for a PhD candidacy.
There are several tracks to pick and choose from. For example, you can opt for a Doctor of Philosophy program though it is also possible to obtain your doctorate in this particular field through a Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng. or D.Engr. or Eng.D. or Dr.Eng. or Dr.-Ing.) program.
In most cases, students who are thinking about pursuing a doctorate degree in this area will need to work closely with PhD advisors or a professor or two who will provide guidance regarding research as well as dissertations.
The dissertations will require the PhD student to successfully complete an oral or written or even both oral and written examination and in addition the student will also need to provide a defense of their conclusions in front of a PhD advisory committee. Obtaining a PHD in Engineering degree also means having to spend between 5 and 7 years doing graduate studies and once you obtain your doctorate, there will be many professional opportunities that you can take advantage of.
After graduating from a PhD in Engineering program, you can expect to get a job in a research university and you will need to use all your expertise to work in government or industrial research laboratories or even create your own business around a particular innovation. Furthermore, you can also promote your career in the green energy field and you can also think about trying to discover live saving biomedical processes or work in the worldwide communication field.
- Relentlessly reinventing higher education, helping busy adults reinvent their lives through education.
- Over 200 affordable online programs and one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- See yourself succeed at Southern New Hampshire University.
- Engineering and ArchitectureMaster's Degree
- Engineering and Architecture Certificate
- Engineering and Architecture Bachelor's Degree
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Mechanical Engineering Technology - Associate's (META)
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Mechatronics - Associate's
- And more...
PUT YOUR CAREER IN GEAR
If you enjoy working with your hands and are looking for a rewarding career, contact Advanced Technology Institute, located in Virginia Beach, VA!
ATI offers NATEF/ASE Master Certified Automotive Technology programs, is approved for Veterans, and is licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Financial Assistance is available for those who qualify and graduate employment services are also offered.
- Automotive Technology w/ Service Management - Associate's
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- BS in Aeronautics