Earning a PhD in Dietetics can open the door to many engaging careers. Becoming part of the health care community can be very rewarding. Dietetics is defined as the study of the relationship between health and nutrition. A related term is sitology, which is defined as the scientific study of food, diet, and nutrition. In order to qualify for admission to the PhD in dietetics program, candidates must possess Bachelors and Masters degrees in a related area, or be prepared to complete additional prerequisite requirements. The Masters degrees must be in a related field.
Dietetics Education and Training
In addition, standardized test scores, curriculum vitae, letters of recommendation, work history, application essays, and extracurricular activities are taken into consideration.
These health care professionals focus on proper nutrition and food in order to promote the best possible personal health. These experts work in many environments, including schools as health educators, hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, armed forces, government policy offices, and retirement communities.
Those who have earned these post-graduate degrees are qualified to perform many important functions. Making dietary modifications to alleviate medical conditions is a central element of this profession. The dietician’s duties include conducting research, developing modified diets, supervising the preparation of food, and educating others about healthy eating habits.
Many nutritional professionals work in specialized areas. Some of these experts work closely with physicians and other health care providers to recommend artificial sources of nutrition for patients who are unable to consume food naturally. Their services are provided in many fields, such as obesity, renal disease, oncology, diabetes, osteoporosis, pediatrics, and micronutrient research.
Careers in Dietetics
Community experts work in various settings, including wellness programs, public health agencies, home care programs, and health maintenance organizations. Food-service managers are responsible for managing menus for prisons, schools, restaurants, company cafeterias, and health care facilities.
Nutritional professionals are needed in many fields. These include clinical experts in nursing homes and geriatric patients, and hospitals. Their areas of specialty include tube feedings, intravenous feedings, total prenatal nutrition, dietary consultations, and outpatient education.
With the general population becoming more aware of the importance of balanced, nutritional food choices, the outlook for this career is good. Food’s health maintenance and illness prevention qualities are becoming more widely known. Additionally, many health care settings are engaging a growing number of experts to direct the modification of patients’ food choices as they recover from a variety of illnesses.
Being awarded a PhD in Dietetics opens many career opportunities. These include specialized fields such as pediatrics, gerontology, research, holistic health, marketing, and public policy. A wide range of engaging, challenging, rewarding career options are open to these nutritional professionals.
Health Care Programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- View Certificates, Associates or Bachelors Degree Programs in Medical Assisting Near YOU!
- Free Information for Medical Assisting, Healthcare Administration, Medical Billing, Coding & Transcription Degree Programs & MORE.
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements & Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs.
- Accredited, Flexible and Affordable Medical Assisting Programs that Fit Your Time & Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!