Earning a PhD in Dietetics can open the door to many engaging careers. Becoming part of the health care community can be very rewarding. Dietetics is defined as the study of the relationship between health and nutrition. A related term is sitology, which is defined as the scientific study of food, diet, and nutrition. In order to qualify for admission to the PhD in dietetics program, candidates must possess Bachelors and Masters degrees in a related area, or be prepared to complete additional prerequisite requirements. The Masters degrees must be in a related field.
Dietetics Education and Training
In addition, standardized test scores, curriculum vitae, letters of recommendation, work history, application essays, and extracurricular activities are taken into consideration.
These health care professionals focus on proper nutrition and food in order to promote the best possible personal health. These experts work in many environments, including schools as health educators, hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, armed forces, government policy offices, and retirement communities.
Those who have earned these post-graduate degrees are qualified to perform many important functions. Making dietary modifications to alleviate medical conditions is a central element of this profession. The dietician’s duties include conducting research, developing modified diets, supervising the preparation of food, and educating others about healthy eating habits.
Many nutritional professionals work in specialized areas. Some of these experts work closely with physicians and other health care providers to recommend artificial sources of nutrition for patients who are unable to consume food naturally. Their services are provided in many fields, such as obesity, renal disease, oncology, diabetes, osteoporosis, pediatrics, and micronutrient research.
Careers in Dietetics
Community experts work in various settings, including wellness programs, public health agencies, home care programs, and health maintenance organizations. Food-service managers are responsible for managing menus for prisons, schools, restaurants, company cafeterias, and health care facilities.
Nutritional professionals are needed in many fields. These include clinical experts in nursing homes and geriatric patients, and hospitals. Their areas of specialty include tube feedings, intravenous feedings, total prenatal nutrition, dietary consultations, and outpatient education.
With the general population becoming more aware of the importance of balanced, nutritional food choices, the outlook for this career is good. Food’s health maintenance and illness prevention qualities are becoming more widely known. Additionally, many health care settings are engaging a growing number of experts to direct the modification of patients’ food choices as they recover from a variety of illnesses.
Being awarded a PhD in Dietetics opens many career opportunities. These include specialized fields such as pediatrics, gerontology, research, holistic health, marketing, and public policy. A wide range of engaging, challenging, rewarding career options are open to these nutritional professionals.
Health Care Programs
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...