Earning a PhD in Dietetics can open the door to many engaging careers. Becoming part of the health care community can be very rewarding. Dietetics is defined as the study of the relationship between health and nutrition. A related term is sitology, which is defined as the scientific study of food, diet, and nutrition. In order to qualify for admission to the PhD in dietetics program, candidates must possess Bachelors and Masters degrees in a related area, or be prepared to complete additional prerequisite requirements. The Masters degrees must be in a related field.
Dietetics Education and Training
In addition, standardized test scores, curriculum vitae, letters of recommendation, work history, application essays, and extracurricular activities are taken into consideration.
These health care professionals focus on proper nutrition and food in order to promote the best possible personal health. These experts work in many environments, including schools as health educators, hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, armed forces, government policy offices, and retirement communities.
Those who have earned these post-graduate degrees are qualified to perform many important functions. Making dietary modifications to alleviate medical conditions is a central element of this profession. The dietician’s duties include conducting research, developing modified diets, supervising the preparation of food, and educating others about healthy eating habits.
Many nutritional professionals work in specialized areas. Some of these experts work closely with physicians and other health care providers to recommend artificial sources of nutrition for patients who are unable to consume food naturally. Their services are provided in many fields, such as obesity, renal disease, oncology, diabetes, osteoporosis, pediatrics, and micronutrient research.
Careers in Dietetics
Community experts work in various settings, including wellness programs, public health agencies, home care programs, and health maintenance organizations. Food-service managers are responsible for managing menus for prisons, schools, restaurants, company cafeterias, and health care facilities.
Nutritional professionals are needed in many fields. These include clinical experts in nursing homes and geriatric patients, and hospitals. Their areas of specialty include tube feedings, intravenous feedings, total prenatal nutrition, dietary consultations, and outpatient education.
With the general population becoming more aware of the importance of balanced, nutritional food choices, the outlook for this career is good. Food’s health maintenance and illness prevention qualities are becoming more widely known. Additionally, many health care settings are engaging a growing number of experts to direct the modification of patients’ food choices as they recover from a variety of illnesses.
Being awarded a PhD in Dietetics opens many career opportunities. These include specialized fields such as pediatrics, gerontology, research, holistic health, marketing, and public policy. A wide range of engaging, challenging, rewarding career options are open to these nutritional professionals.
Health Care Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!