A Law PhD degree can greatly enhance the career of an attorney or other professionals in the legal profession. If you have aspirations of taking up a top-level position in the legal system, it will be necessary for you to earn a law PhD. Even a Masters degree is not sufficient for certain occupations. For example, if you want to teach at a college or university, a PhD (also called a doctoral or doctorate degree) is necessary.
Law School Education and Training
In the US, some legal disciplines are not included in graduate programs. A doctoral degree is a lot more specialized and focused than a Masters qualification. However, in most cases, it is necessary to first obtain a Masters before going on to train for doctorate status. Completion of a doctoral degree in the US usually takes between 3 and 6 years.
The study duration will vary according to your educational background. For example, if you have a Masters, it may take less time to finish your PhD, especially if it is the same field. Other factors that affect the duration are your ability and dedication, as well as the complexity of the thesis you choose. A thesis is an extensive, lengthy paper that takes much research and a lot of time to complete. It is a mandatory part of a doctoral study program.
To become a law professor, you will first have to complete a 4-year undergraduate program, then spend 4 years at a law school. A professor is required to have a doctoral degree in law, plus several years experience working as a lawyer before being employed in a teaching capacity at a university or college. You will also have to apply for a license and pass the state bar examination.
Careers in Law
A professor’s job involves initiating and moderating classroom discussions. It is necessary to be well-informed and conversant with all new developments in the justice and legal systems. Much of your time will be spent communicating and reading with your colleagues and you will have to attend conferences. The job also entails research and publishing your findings in academic papers and books.
As a professor, you are required to review and choose text books to be used for coursework. A professor’s job description includes the drawing up of proposals to obtain funding for research projects. Working hours are regular but it takes a lot of time to prepare for lessons. This means that you may have to sacrifice some of your free time in the evenings and weekends.
Other options with a law PhD are publishing, reviewing and editing documents for journals, magazines, newspapers, and textbooks. Private companies also employ doctoral lawyers as consultants. In this capacity, you would develop in-house policies, prepare contracts, and ensure that the company is operating within the parameters of the legal system.
Law Studies Programs
- Bachelor’s programs options include Law & National Security, Paralegal Studies, and Government.
- Regent University School of Law’s faculty was recognized among the Top 10 Faculty in the nation by The Princeton Review in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Law & legal studies programs are fully approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- J.D. Part-Time
- J.D. 2-Year
- Bachelor of Arts in Government - Pre-Law
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Legal Support and Services
- MS in Legal Studies
- Undergraduate in Legal Studies
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Jurisprudence with concentration in Legal Studies (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Homeland Security - Bachelor's
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Leadership: Disaster Preparedness & Executive Fire Leadership
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Looking for an Online Criminal Justice Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!