A Law PhD degree can greatly enhance the career of an attorney or other professionals in the legal profession. If you have aspirations of taking up a top-level position in the legal system, it will be necessary for you to earn a law PhD. Even a Masters degree is not sufficient for certain occupations. For example, if you want to teach at a college or university, a PhD (also called a doctoral or doctorate degree) is necessary.
Law School Education and Training
In the US, some legal disciplines are not included in graduate programs. A doctoral degree is a lot more specialized and focused than a Masters qualification. However, in most cases, it is necessary to first obtain a Masters before going on to train for doctorate status. Completion of a doctoral degree in the US usually takes between 3 and 6 years.
The study duration will vary according to your educational background. For example, if you have a Masters, it may take less time to finish your PhD, especially if it is the same field. Other factors that affect the duration are your ability and dedication, as well as the complexity of the thesis you choose. A thesis is an extensive, lengthy paper that takes much research and a lot of time to complete. It is a mandatory part of a doctoral study program.
To become a law professor, you will first have to complete a 4-year undergraduate program, then spend 4 years at a law school. A professor is required to have a doctoral degree in law, plus several years experience working as a lawyer before being employed in a teaching capacity at a university or college. You will also have to apply for a license and pass the state bar examination.
Careers in Law
A professor’s job involves initiating and moderating classroom discussions. It is necessary to be well-informed and conversant with all new developments in the justice and legal systems. Much of your time will be spent communicating and reading with your colleagues and you will have to attend conferences. The job also entails research and publishing your findings in academic papers and books.
As a professor, you are required to review and choose text books to be used for coursework. A professor’s job description includes the drawing up of proposals to obtain funding for research projects. Working hours are regular but it takes a lot of time to prepare for lessons. This means that you may have to sacrifice some of your free time in the evenings and weekends.
Other options with a law PhD are publishing, reviewing and editing documents for journals, magazines, newspapers, and textbooks. Private companies also employ doctoral lawyers as consultants. In this capacity, you would develop in-house policies, prepare contracts, and ensure that the company is operating within the parameters of the legal system.
Law Studies Programs
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Law - Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Law - Non-Profit Management
- Master of Arts in Law - Business Management
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice : Law
- Certificate: Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate
- Bachelor of Science in Legal Support and Services
- And more...
- Programs range from Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies, to Master of Public Administration, and more.
- One of the largest providers of online legal studies in the U.S.
- Students can enroll in internship courses that provide real-world experience in local law offices.
- Programs designed to keep students updated on the most recent changes to legal practices.
- BS in Legal Support and Services - Paralegal Concentration
- BS in Legal Support and Services
- MS in Legal Studies
- And more...
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and the community at large.
- Online Master of Laws in Health Law and Policy
- Online Master of Arts in Health Law and Policy
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Paralegal Law
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Jurisprudence with concentration in Legal Studies (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Legal Studies - Law & Public Policy (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) can help get you from here to a new career!
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Criminal Justice - Associate of Occupational Science
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration