A Law PhD degree can greatly enhance the career of an attorney or other professionals in the legal profession. If you have aspirations of taking up a top-level position in the legal system, it will be necessary for you to earn a law PhD. Even a Masters degree is not sufficient for certain occupations. For example, if you want to teach at a college or university, a PhD (also called a doctoral or doctorate degree) is necessary.
Law School Education and Training
In the US, some legal disciplines are not included in graduate programs. A doctoral degree is a lot more specialized and focused than a Masters qualification. However, in most cases, it is necessary to first obtain a Masters before going on to train for doctorate status. Completion of a doctoral degree in the US usually takes between 3 and 6 years.
The study duration will vary according to your educational background. For example, if you have a Masters, it may take less time to finish your PhD, especially if it is the same field. Other factors that affect the duration are your ability and dedication, as well as the complexity of the thesis you choose. A thesis is an extensive, lengthy paper that takes much research and a lot of time to complete. It is a mandatory part of a doctoral study program.
To become a law professor, you will first have to complete a 4-year undergraduate program, then spend 4 years at a law school. A professor is required to have a doctoral degree in law, plus several years experience working as a lawyer before being employed in a teaching capacity at a university or college. You will also have to apply for a license and pass the state bar examination.
Careers in Law
A professor’s job involves initiating and moderating classroom discussions. It is necessary to be well-informed and conversant with all new developments in the justice and legal systems. Much of your time will be spent communicating and reading with your colleagues and you will have to attend conferences. The job also entails research and publishing your findings in academic papers and books.
As a professor, you are required to review and choose text books to be used for coursework. A professor’s job description includes the drawing up of proposals to obtain funding for research projects. Working hours are regular but it takes a lot of time to prepare for lessons. This means that you may have to sacrifice some of your free time in the evenings and weekends.
Other options with a law PhD are publishing, reviewing and editing documents for journals, magazines, newspapers, and textbooks. Private companies also employ doctoral lawyers as consultants. In this capacity, you would develop in-house policies, prepare contracts, and ensure that the company is operating within the parameters of the legal system.
Law Studies Programs
- Bachelor’s programs options include Law & National Security, Paralegal Studies, and Government.
- Regent University School of Law’s faculty was recognized among the Top 10 Faculty in the nation by The Princeton Review in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Law & legal studies programs are fully approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Law - Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Law - Non-Profit Management
- Master of Arts in Law - Business Management
- And more...
- Programs range from Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies, to Master of Public Administration, and more.
- One of the largest providers of online legal studies in the U.S.
- Students can enroll in internship courses that provide real-world experience in local law offices.
- Programs designed to keep students updated on the most recent changes to legal practices.
- BS in Legal Support and Services - Paralegal Concentration
- BS in Legal Support and Services
- MS in Legal Studies
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Doctor of Management - Homeland Security (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Paralegal Law
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Criminal Justice - Associate of Occupational Science
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Criminal Justice - D.B.A.
- Homeland Security Leadership & Policy - D.B.A.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- And more...