A Law PhD degree can greatly enhance the career of an attorney or other professionals in the legal profession. If you have aspirations of taking up a top-level position in the legal system, it will be necessary for you to earn a law PhD. Even a Masters degree is not sufficient for certain occupations. For example, if you want to teach at a college or university, a PhD (also called a doctoral or doctorate degree) is necessary.
Law School Education and Training
In the US, some legal disciplines are not included in graduate programs. A doctoral degree is a lot more specialized and focused than a Masters qualification. However, in most cases, it is necessary to first obtain a Masters before going on to train for doctorate status. Completion of a doctoral degree in the US usually takes between 3 and 6 years.
The study duration will vary according to your educational background. For example, if you have a Masters, it may take less time to finish your PhD, especially if it is the same field. Other factors that affect the duration are your ability and dedication, as well as the complexity of the thesis you choose. A thesis is an extensive, lengthy paper that takes much research and a lot of time to complete. It is a mandatory part of a doctoral study program.
To become a law professor, you will first have to complete a 4-year undergraduate program, then spend 4 years at a law school. A professor is required to have a doctoral degree in law, plus several years experience working as a lawyer before being employed in a teaching capacity at a university or college. You will also have to apply for a license and pass the state bar examination.
Careers in Law
A professor’s job involves initiating and moderating classroom discussions. It is necessary to be well-informed and conversant with all new developments in the justice and legal systems. Much of your time will be spent communicating and reading with your colleagues and you will have to attend conferences. The job also entails research and publishing your findings in academic papers and books.
As a professor, you are required to review and choose text books to be used for coursework. A professor’s job description includes the drawing up of proposals to obtain funding for research projects. Working hours are regular but it takes a lot of time to prepare for lessons. This means that you may have to sacrifice some of your free time in the evenings and weekends.
Other options with a law PhD are publishing, reviewing and editing documents for journals, magazines, newspapers, and textbooks. Private companies also employ doctoral lawyers as consultants. In this capacity, you would develop in-house policies, prepare contracts, and ensure that the company is operating within the parameters of the legal system.
Law Studies Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Legal Studies
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Homeland Security and Crisis Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Criminal Justice - D.B.A.
- Homeland Security Leadership & Policy - D.B.A.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Criminal Justice Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at your own pace and Get qualified to pursue a career you'll love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!