Learning more about the doctorate of divinity degree is important to determining the career path that one would pursue upon completion of the degree program. If becoming involved in obtaining a Doctorate in Divinity Degree, there are a number of things one should do. Carefully review the program’s requirements, complete the required assignments, application and tuition and mail or email them to the organization.
Divinity Training and Education
One thing a person should do is to check with their state’s requirements and guidelines for religious programs, such as this. This checking can be accomplished by going on the Internet and looking at the state’s higher education board website.
There are Theological Seminaries that do offer a Doctorate degree in Divinity or Theology, which allows one to put ” Doctor” before one’s name. It is claimed that this will inspire confidence in the people who come for counseling, as well as enhance pastoral counseling or spiritual healing. Some of the sites have specific requirements.
What is a doctor of divinity? There is some confusion regarding the Doctorate of Divinity Degree. It is defined as an advanced academic degree, in the United Kingdom, where it is obtained from a university by studying Christian principles or other religious subjects.
However, this Doctorate is also given as an honorary degree. In the United Kingdom it has long been the highest doctorate given a religious scholar of standing and distinction. It is still the highest senior qualification at a number of their universities.
In the United States it is usually awarded as an honorary degree, where the only earned degrees in the academic Theology field are issued in Philosophy, Theology, Sacred Theology, Biblical Studies, Practical Theology and Ministry are earned in education classes. There is no report concerning any earnings for this particular doctorate, in the U. S.
One Seminary requires that the applicant be ordained as a minister by any recognized church or seminary in order to apply. In addition, a thesis/dissertation of around 4000 words, on any spiritual topic must be submitted. The choice of the thesis is up to the applicant. There is no specific format outlined for the thesis. In addition, this institution requires a one to three page spiritual history, regarding one’s life from childhood to the present to be presented.
Another Seminary advertises “Bible Studies”, and speaks of developing Bible Studies into College Courses and speaks of the Doctor of Divinity. One Internet site states “When you put Doctor in front of your name people are going to assume that it was earned academically”, in other words that a rigorous course of study was pursued with two to four years of hard work. That is not the case in many of the Doctor of Divinity certificates offered.
It takes little effort or expense to obtain one a doctorate of divinity degree and they do not give one any academic standing other than, in some cases, allowing the performance of some religious ceremonies like weddings or readings.
Careers in Divinity
A PhD in divinity allows a graduate to work in a number of settings. A graduate with a doctorate of divinity is equipped to function as a Pastoral Counselor, minister, in church planting, and other areas in human and social services.
This includes churches, the general public, ministerial professional organizations and others, as well as taking a leading role within their own congregation. This may be done through teachings, publications or professional activities.
Religious Studies Programs
- Find Your Purpose with a Theology Master's Degree from GCU's College of Theology
- Flexible online, evening and campus class options to fit your busy life.
- Several degree options - M.Div., M.A. in Urban Ministry, M.A. in Christian Ministry and more.
- The College of Theology's guiding pillars are Gospel Centered, Church Focused and Missions Oriented.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various theology master's programs.
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
- Master of Divinity
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Ministry in Christian Leadership & Renewal
- Doctor of Ministry
- Doctor of Ministry in Ministry Leadership Coaching
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Arts in Global Service
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Practical Theology
- Master of Arts in Ministry - Pastoral Care and Counseling
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
The University of Southern California Doctor of Social Work (DSW) online program is designed for experienced practitioners to harness innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
Unlike a PhD in social work, which prepares scholars for careers in research and the professoriate, the DSW@USC is an online advanced practice degree program for working professionals who want to have a greater impact in their practice.
Top-ranked by U.S. News & World Report, the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers its innovative Master of Social Work program online so students can make a lasting positive impact in their communities. Aspiring practitioners attend online classes with an average of just 12 students so they can get to know each other and expert faculty.
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
Fordham University’s online Master of Science in Teaching (M.S.T.) program prepares aspiring teachers (grades 1–6) to address the needs of today’s students. In addition to providing essential skills and experience, the M.S.T. program prepares students seeking initial teaching certification. The program offers two tracks: an M.S.T. in Childhood Education and an M.S.T. in Childhood Special Education (Dual Certification). Both combine live classes, interactive coursework, and placement experiences to prepare students to become effective teachers.