Learning more about the doctorate of divinity degree is important to determining the career path that one would pursue upon completion of the degree program. If becoming involved in obtaining a Doctorate in Divinity Degree, there are a number of things one should do. Carefully review the program’s requirements, complete the required assignments, application and tuition and mail or email them to the organization.
Divinity Training and Education
One thing a person should do is to check with their state’s requirements and guidelines for religious programs, such as this. This checking can be accomplished by going on the Internet and looking at the state’s higher education board website.
There are Theological Seminaries that do offer a Doctorate degree in Divinity or Theology, which allows one to put ” Doctor” before one’s name. It is claimed that this will inspire confidence in the people who come for counseling, as well as enhance pastoral counseling or spiritual healing. Some of the sites have specific requirements.
What is a doctor of divinity? There is some confusion regarding the Doctorate of Divinity Degree. It is defined as an advanced academic degree, in the United Kingdom, where it is obtained from a university by studying Christian principles or other religious subjects.
However, this Doctorate is also given as an honorary degree. In the United Kingdom it has long been the highest doctorate given a religious scholar of standing and distinction. It is still the highest senior qualification at a number of their universities.
In the United States it is usually awarded as an honorary degree, where the only earned degrees in the academic Theology field are issued in Philosophy, Theology, Sacred Theology, Biblical Studies, Practical Theology and Ministry are earned in education classes. There is no report concerning any earnings for this particular doctorate, in the U. S.
One Seminary requires that the applicant be ordained as a minister by any recognized church or seminary in order to apply. In addition, a thesis/dissertation of around 4000 words, on any spiritual topic must be submitted. The choice of the thesis is up to the applicant. There is no specific format outlined for the thesis. In addition, this institution requires a one to three page spiritual history, regarding one’s life from childhood to the present to be presented.
Another Seminary advertises “Bible Studies”, and speaks of developing Bible Studies into College Courses and speaks of the Doctor of Divinity. One Internet site states “When you put Doctor in front of your name people are going to assume that it was earned academically”, in other words that a rigorous course of study was pursued with two to four years of hard work. That is not the case in many of the Doctor of Divinity certificates offered.
It takes little effort or expense to obtain one a doctorate of divinity degree and they do not give one any academic standing other than, in some cases, allowing the performance of some religious ceremonies like weddings or readings.
Careers in Divinity
A PhD in divinity allows a graduate to work in a number of settings. A graduate with a doctorate of divinity is equipped to function as a Pastoral Counselor, minister, in church planting, and other areas in human and social services.
This includes churches, the general public, ministerial professional organizations and others, as well as taking a leading role within their own congregation. This may be done through teachings, publications or professional activities.
Religious Studies Programs
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Ministry in Community Transformation
- Doctor of Ministry in Christian Leadership & Renewal
- Doctor of Ministry in Ministry Leadership Coaching
- And more...
- Earn a Master of Social Work degree online from the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work
- MSW@USC is a CSWE-accredited program
- The program features live, online classes and hands-on field experiences near your community.
- GRE scores are not required to apply
- You can complete your degree in two years or less. Bachelor's degree required.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Gender Diversity Studies - PhD of Psychology